Monday, January 21, 2008

re-evaluation

Everything going so fast makes it difficult to think. I'm really enjoying my time in SoCal. The location and the people make me want to stay here and live indefinately - just need to find a really good job to go along with this place. Thanks to yesterday's work though - it gave me the kick in the pants I've been needing to put everything back into perspective.

I've come to realize I was starting to settle for a job - a job I don't even want. My whole purpose of remaining in SoCal is for sushi - to gain speed and better technique in making nigiri-zushi (little rice balls with fish on top). Looking at a nigiri, one would think easy - just roll rice in a ball and serve. Believe it or not there is actual technique and I have yet to practice. I try to at work but I'm faster at rolling sushi so the store manager insists I roll or be the cashier. Sure I'm getting some training with management but so far, I haven't learned anything new - just a different computer system. Ordering food, supplies, managing people and customers are still the same as previous management positions. Nothing special about that and realistically quite boring.

I timed myself the other day. It took me 15 seconds to make a tuna nigiri and 45 seconds to make a kappa (cucumber roll). I had to do it a couple of times because I thought the clock was broken... but it wasn't. And they weren't even pretty - I was rushed. How disappointing. I'm slowing way down. While in school, I was at 8 seconds/ nigiri and 30 seconds for a kappa - and that was really slow. Ideally, a nigiri should take 3 seconds and a kappa 10 seconds, if you're good.

I've been getting sidetracked alot lately - there's so much to do, things to see, places to go, people to meet, etc that I've been getting comfortable living here. Been staying so busy there's no time to think, no time to just sit back, relax and take a breather to plan out future events. I'll just leave the excuse to big city, too many options for stuff to do. It's a nice feeling but I'm not ready to plant roots yet - even if it is Long Beach (a really awesome place and a runner up from Austin on places to settle). There is still so much out in the world to experience and I cannot give that up - I just don't want to yet.

Anyhow, a long time ago I worked at a fast food pizza outfit where I would hold an advertisement banner trying to get passersby to enter the store. I promised myself I would never do that again. Making pizza, answering phone orders - no problem but holding a sign? That's a definate no go. This sushi job is similar to that - make sushi and answer the phones... I had previously decided to stay with this job because of the management position and considering it's fast food, the pay is decent... but those excuses are wearing thin and yesterday was the finale.

This sushi restaurant is trying to maintain store goals the headquarters has challenged. It's always within reach but just high enough where we cannot meet the goal. We need sales. The sales goal is the 2nd highest in the company and it seems impossible. So the store manager had asked for ideas... my idea was to place a sandwich board sign outside during rushhour (5-7 pm) when people are driving home and give those customers a discount for ordering at that time. I was informed that we are not authorized to do that - it's a headquarters decision, not ours. Instead, the store manager wanted to use the idea but have someone hold a sign. Yet the only signs we have are from the grand opening that just says we are now open. The manager wanted to give it a try and see if it would be effective. It wasn't, primarily because all the other Asian eateries along the street have discounts and various specials and we all offer similar menus - just different prices.

Everyone was excited to go outside and hold up a banner. Everyone had a turn at it and yes, I too. That is where the line has been drawn. This position has sunken down to the bottom depths of - well, lets just say it gave me the motivation to move on. Forget about the management position and new store. It was enticing to be sidetracked for abit but I know I really need to focus on why I decided to remain in SoCal. Experience gained. Now it's time to move on.

No comments: