Sunday, December 31, 2006

the dead guy

Ok, I admit perhaps I'm a bit morbid but really I just call it a dry sense of humor. The trauma team wanted to thank the volunteers and had requested a cake - in the shape of a dead guy with fake blood...if we couldn't do it, they had requested liver and onions tinted red to imitate blood and guts as an appetizer. My 3 other co-workers thought it was disgusting and Jake refused to make it. Me, well I thought it was hilarious and would be really cool to make. So it became my task.

The power went out so I couldn't make a sheet cake but I did happen to have cake rounds on hand... and almost made a pac-man shaped guy. It was a good thing the power went out because I'd never made fondant before or used it on any cake. I didn't know how difficult it would be but still thought it would be fun. With the power outage, we just made sandwiches for dinner for midrats and I had all shift to play with the dead guy.

Since I wanted to use fondant as the frosting, I thought it really would be a waste since normally you do not eat fondant - the designated cake cutter just peels it off and throws it away so you have a buttercream frosted cake underneath the fondant. Anyway, with a bunch of sweet-tooths on station, I wanted them to be able to eat the frosting and made the fondant out of marshmallows.
I filled the middle of the cake with raspberry filling so it was suppose to ooze out when cut to simulate blood. Then I made a side wound on the guy with the raspberry filling bleeding out. He had a scrape on his knee and couple of toes were sticking out of his shoe.
Those cannibals ate the whole guy.












No comments: