Saturday, December 09, 2006

So, what's for dinner?

Usually there's the 4 of us working midrats - Laura, Jake, Nicole and I. Saturdays are Laura and Nicole's day off so it's just Jake and I working and Sundays are our day off and they work. Most of the time there's food already prepared - that's what they did last Saturday making extra pizza for the midrats shift. So every other Saturday is pizza night and every other Saturday is pasta night - pizza twice a month as with pasta. Sounds easy enough.

Tonight was pasta night for the regular dinner crowd. I just assumed there was enough made for the midrats shift and I started my to-do list of desserts. My boss, James, came up to me about a 1/2 hr into my shift asking what's for dinner? I think I did a double take to see if he was joking but he was quite serious. So with no advanced notice I was suppose to make dinner for midrats. Ok, so that was a little freaky...panic! Well, I guess you know what happens when you assume things.

It was a really good thing I went to storage last week and took a little inventory of what we have in stock. I recalled seeing some marsala so the light bulb in my brain clicked on. You got it... chicken marsala. It's the easiest thing you can make in a time crunch - pasta, chicken, wine... it's all good!

It turned out alright and it was even ready 5 minutes early. We're suppose to plan for 70 people but it's always difficult to judge how much food to make since some people come up 3 or 4 times and some people don't eat at all. Also, there was a toga party out in summercamp and I didn't know if people were going to come in to eat or stay out there - sometimes non-midrats people sneak in to eat although they are suppose to make reservations in adavnce just so we have a warning and can prepare enough food. Anyway, I made more than enough so that was good. Whenever I cook my only worry is that I don't make enough and run out.

So, I guess all went well. Today was just another crazy shift. And now I know... every other Saturday, I'll be making dinner.

No comments: