Friday, November 02, 2007

oh oh - aimed a little low

This is so weird. I interviewed for the wrong job. I ended up taking a job with one of those original 6 interviews. All I wanted was a sushi maker job - to be alittle peon in the grand scheme of things. Roll sushi, make sashimi, nigiri, etc - gain speed, get more practice, something temporary - what better way than fast food sushi. I'd be easily replaceable when the cruiseline gives me to go ahead for training.

I was over-qualified as a sushi roller... so I had interviewed for a supervisor position - a floor manager to be in charge of a shift of the sushi roller people. Today was the first day of work. The guy I interviewed with is actually going to be my boss and I met his boss today - the Regional General Manager as well as the company trainer. Now, I was thinking this place is kinda nice - the Regional manager took time out of his busy schedule to welcome me into the company and I'll be trained by a guy thats only job is to train people for their position. Quite impressive. I figured they really want some good sushi people producing some really nice rolls. I mean, fast food sushi - who would have thought? Never heard of the company until the interview but hey, sushi is popular.

Uh, come to find out that position I interviewed for was not floor manager. The Regional general manager wouldn't have greeted me that way... and I wouldn't have a company trainer to train me had it only been for that shift leader position. The job interview was for store manager. Wow. They want to give me my own store! It's being built right now and will be ready to open come February. Man, those crazy Japanese accents! Floor manager, store manager - it's definately not the same thing. Can you say I aimed alittle low? The store is in Long Beach - a place that's got a really way cool aquarium. Well, if I had to live in Southern California, Long Beach is the place I'd want to live. This might be a toss up - cruise or Long Beach, I mean store manager. Pros and cons, the cruise is still in the lead. How do I back pedal out of this mess?

And I got another job offer - just for fun, like a side job. A friend of a friend of a friend has been looking for a sushi chef for their catering company. They make some really nice wedding cakes - the pictures are awesome. I wonder if they taste good... hmmm. Anyway, they want to expand in the sushi world - that might be alittle entertainment. We'll see. Options - there are getting to be several.

By the way, starting my medical tests for the cruise today... doing good so far.

No comments: