Friday, November 30, 2007

MMD

I'm trying to get an MMD card through the Coast Guard. It's a mandatory thing if I want to work on a boat. So I went to the office this morning and took all the requested paperwork with me as well as my drivers license, social security card and passport.

I'm having a little difficulty getting this card. Apparently, I am a suspect of identity theft. I don't get it. Do you ever wonder what some people are thinking? First off, I was wondering why this guy (I'm really trying to be polite here but I do have all sorts of other names for him) thinks I've stolen another person's identity... and secondly, it makes me wonder what my parents were thinking when they decided to name me. I am kinda lucky that I don't have some funky name but I wonder what they were thinking when they decided upon two middle names. Perhaps, they knew two middle names would confuse this one particular person.

So I have two middle names and it's the first time I've been hassled about having two. One is American and one is Japanese. Yes, I've had them since I was born. No, I'm not making it up. I really have two middle names. Granted, alot of forms only have one spot for one middle initial hence the reason why I have to choose which one I want to go by. Which means sometimes, I do not get a choice like on my driver's license. They put down the initial of my first middle name. My other documents have the other initial so not all my identification matches. My passport has the other middle name on it.

But I would think once you are verified by a government agency, you should be good to go. When I enlisted in the military I had to show all these documents to verify who I was, etc and they wrote down both middle names. When I got out of the military, I was given a veterans card which has both middle names.

So when I gave the coast guard guy my identification, he's not only doubting me but other government agencies. Apparently, he doesn't believe someone can have two middle names and wants to see my birth certificate with his own eyes. How would I be able to get a passport, a driver's license or even a valid social security number if my birth certificate is fake? So this adds a couple more weeks onto the wait time, which all I'm waiting for is the okay from the coast guard - the approval will result in the MMD card.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Flower Child doesn't qualify as "funky"? ;}