Thursday, November 01, 2007

couch potato - in the car

I have some good news. First off, that 7th interview - the one with the job I really wanted... they called me back for a 2nd interview. Got the job too. But being bummed out this past week about that job has made me realize, I could move on knowing that I didn't get it... and had begun making other plans.

Now that I got the job, I don't want it. Part of my decision in not taking the job is the commute. Been there 3 times already and feel like I'm wasting time driving back and forth. It's only 35 miles to Beverly Hills but it takes 2 hours to get there and 3 hours to get back home - in normal traffic. 5 hours in the car is abit much 5-6 days a week. That would almost be like a part-time job.

The other plan consists of a compromise. Whew! To say that, well... to those that know me, know I'm not very good at compromising and it is rare than I do. Maybe it's a sign of old age? (Oh oh, it's downhill from here on out.) I kinda miss the seasonal trail. I miss the change, adventure, meeting new people, checking out new places, etc. With the seasonal trail, I change companies every 4-5 months and had realized I needed to settle down with one company to show stability, think of the future, perhaps even job benefits like health insurance, medical and everything else I haven't had to worry about. Hence, the reason I decided to stop the seasonal trail and grow some roots. But I'm already bored and to think of staying in one area for years and years indefinately is a like a ball and chain - kinda makes me want to run.

So my goal was to settle down in order to focus on my sushi career. I'd be willing to do that for a few years but I haven't really found anything that has caught my eye - something to tie me here to LA. Then as part of my job hunt I saw a cruiseline job fair. I had planned on going then talked myself out of it. (I knew what would happen if offered a job.) But my roommate persuaded me in going - "look but don't sign ANYTHING," she said as I walked out the door.

So the compromise is... I'm returning to the seasonal trail on that cruise line. I was offered a job on the spot and it's a guaranteed sushi position (so I can be in the sushi world), travel and if I like it, remain within the same company for stability but still have all the change. It'll take about about 2 months to complete all the testing and medical stuff if all goes well. So it's kinda like a win-win situation. Let's hope so.

In the meantime, I've decided to take one of the job offers out of those original 6 to tide me over so to speak. I've been on more interviews since but knowing the job will be temporary, I'm not being as selective as I normally would.

On the cruise, I'll be returning to the 80-90 hour work week. This time though it'll be 7 days straight for 5 months. Never really done that before... I've worked many hours but I've always had a day off, a 6 day work week. We'll see how it goes. It's real tight quarters - 4 people per room. A small room with a gym locker to hold all our possessions (so I'll have to pack abit lighter!)

To the future! Changing as always...

No comments: