Monday, October 15, 2007

it waved at me

Ok, so I grossed my classmates out again. It was unintentional - really. Today's assignment was a belt fish also known as a scabbard fish. We were cutting it down into filets, one classmate cut away one side and I cut the other filet but once I got the portion off, I noticed some dark looking round things in the meat and asked Sensei what they were. Uh, worms... oh yum... why is it I get the wormy fish? So I had to pick the worms out of the meat and prepare it for sushi. Most times, this fish is a cooked item but if tried as sushi, it has a distinctive flavor that some people (Sensei) likes. Me? Uh, I tried it last week and gave it away - the good thing is all the leftover sushi that we don't want, we give to Ouchi, the school office manager, who usually takes it home to his family. Oh... and if it's cooked more than likely you've eaten a worm. Good protein source, eh?

Last Friday we had an assignment on pompano nigiri. Pompano is this cute little fish - I think posted a pic of this fish skeleton... we deep fry the skeleton and eat it like chips. Anyway, everyone's assignment was complete and we were ready for lunch. (We all sit down together and eat like a family meal). As I looked down at my soon to be lunch, I saw this worm... it was standing up on end and waving at me. Literally, I'm not kidding. (Although it was a bit funny so see the color drain from my classmates faces). I guess I didn't do a very good job killing off all the worms - it's kind of a wormy fish. Sensei just told me to kill off the worm and eat the sushi anyway... needless to say, no one ate lunch that day - we all lost our appetites.

A few weeks ago, as we were doing our class assignment I had a worm crawling around on my plate. That time though, we all carved up the fish and put it in a big tray so I don't know who cleaned that fish but I ended up with it. It was a little baby worm - but the guys didn't eat their lunch that day either.

So far, there's been 3 worms found and yeah, guess who's been lucky to find all of them? It makes me wonder... if I am the only one to find worms in the fish, perhaps my classmates have eaten the worms unknowingly? I can't be the only one! Could I?
Out of my own evilness - I've posted Friday's lunch for you. By the time I got my camera the worm crawled down from the nigiri on the right and is in the middle of the two nigiri.
My friend... the worm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Email me a list of wormy fish!!