Friday, September 21, 2007

session 1 final

Final day is here and done. Whew! For the final we had a written and hands-on - time limit of 3 hours. I think I over-crammed because I totally blanked out on all my Japanese terminology. Luckily though, after intently staring at the test my brain started working again and was able to recall the correct answers.

We made a sushi platter comprising of:
2 cucumber rolls
1 California roll
1 temaki roll - and plating/ decoration also counts.
As well as an appetizer utilizing one of the Japanese cooking techniques. I made a shiitake squid salad with plating and decorations, searing it by fire. At first it looked like a clown face with the spinach leaves as the eyes, tobiko - red nose and the sauce as a smiley mouth... I had to change the presentation by putting sauce all around the plate and smearing it a the last minute. Good save. One thing I mixed up was my seasons... shiitake are currently in seasonfor Fall but squid is a Summer food item.




















shiitake mushrooms, squid, spinach salad with a yuzu (citrus/ lime) sake sauce garnished with green onion and red tobiko.

No comments: