Saturday, December 15, 2007

holiday lights, boat show and good eats

Whew! What a busy day. Started out with a nice kayak trip around the Newport Beach back bay bird santuary then lunch in Little Tokyo (downtown LA) at a kaiten (conveyor sushi bar).

Our plans had originally been for sushi bar hopping for dinner. We found 4 restaurants we wanted to check out since we had heard good reviews. By the time we got back to town from LA, it was dinner time (and rush hour traffic). We had reservations for the 2nd sushi bar... we had to skip the first sushi bar in order to keep the reservation. Next up, we went to a boat show in Newport Beach - the locals all decorate their boats with various lights and decorations for Christmas and drive around the bay. We went for this in addition to seeing the winning houses light displays along the promenade on Balboa Island. When we finished the looking at the lights, we went on to the 3rd sushi bar. And after this place - it was already midnight and we called it a night, forgoing the 4th place for a later date.

Wow, what a day... eating sushi for 9 hours. A few weeks ago, my friends had asked if I would make desserts for their Christmas party for 60 people. Jumping at the practice, I said yes... but with what time? Anyway, after getting home from sushi I started all my baking projects. It didn't take as long as I thought. I'm typing this up as the last of the projects are baking. I decided on 5 desserts - a struesel, white chocolate pound cake, red velvet cupcakes, rum cake and a sponge petit four.

No comments: