Saturday, December 15, 2007

Fat Bob

Anyway, after getting home from sushi I started all my baking projects. It didn't take as long as I thought I got to bed early - 5AM... just in time for a quick nap before I had to wake up at 7 for the Harley demo rides. This has been something I've really been looking forward to. Actually, it's something I look forward to every year, when given the opportunity to attend. Harley-Davidson comes out with the new year's motorcycle - this year - 2008, is the new Dyna Fat Bob. Whew! What a nice looking bike. At these demo rides, you get to test ride any bike you want - just sign up and fill out the waiver. You can spend all day riding each bike. It's a fantastic treat.

So being here without my bike, I've been missing out on all the rides that I could be going on. A friend of mine is thinking about getting the Fat Bob, so we went to the demo to ride. We were the first ones to sign up. She rode the Fat Bob with mid-controls (controls built in the middle of the bike) and I rode the Fat Bob with forward controls (controls that are built closer to the front of the bike). Kinda funny since she's mega tall and I'm really short - we should have rode opposite bikes... short legs, mid controls/ tall legs, forward controls... anyway, the forward controls was cool. I really need to grow about 2 more inches to touch the controls. I had to sit on the tank to reach the pedals - brakes and gears even with my heels on! This bike is a 1584cc engine... the largest engine in the whole Harley fleet, with the exception of the Screamin Eagle brand which is 1808cc. My bike is only a 1450cc... mine is fast but this one is way faster - just a little flick of the wrist and I was flying down the road at 70mph! I didn't even realize I was going that fast until I looked at the spedometer. Just imagine... with a 1450 engine, you can top out at 120mph... I wonder what you can top out at with a 1584cc? Wow.

It's such an awesome bike. Even I was tempted to take it home with me! With the drag bars - it just makes you want to take sharp turns and race... the pipes are cool, the color (I rode a blue one) is great and get this! You don't need a key (I'm always worried my key will fall out of the ignition and I'll be stranded). The newer bikes you turn the bike ignition on with the key then store it - and the bike still works! Also on all the 2008 models is a 6th gear. I wonder if that means you can go faster.




2008 Dyna Fat Bob with forward controls













Fat Bob with forward controls - demo ride

No comments: