Sunday, February 25, 2007

Moeraki and Akaroa

So on the way back north to CHC, there's a town called Moeraki. Cute little beach town... if I had an extra day I think I'd of stayed the night there. Anyway, there are these huge boulders near the sea and that's pretty much the only tourist attraction. I thought it was really cool but it's kinda of strange the boulders are only in one part of the beach.

After the Moeraki boulders, I went on to Akaroa where I was going to stay in a hostel. One of the Ice people told me if I'm in that area I have to stay the night at Le Bons Bay backpackers. The hostel owner makes this superb dinner feast and takes you out on his boat to see the dolphins and other sea creatures. So I arrived and it was so strange. I left CHC a day late but arrived at Le Bons a day early. And Moeraki was a 3 hr car ride back south. Being with no vacancy, Gary (the hostel proprietor) called around and I ended up staying in the next bay over - Okains bay.

Both hostels were real nice. The first one in Okains Bay is newly built in November 2006 so everything is brand new. It was a good thing I was a day early since it gave me a chance to go down to Akaroa for a boat tour. The weather was a bit windy to go out on the open ocean so Gary cancelled his tour. I ended up going out on a sailboat and saw Hector dolphins, couple seals and a few albatross. And a huge case of sunburn! It's kinda ironic because someone told me the bugs at Milford Sound were really bad and to get some bug spray. I did that but forgot it in the car when I went on my boat ride. Then for this boat ride, I had gotten sunscreen but of course, it was in the car.



Moeraki boulders in the sea.


































I don't know what kind of flower this is but I thought it was colorful. These were at Double Dutch hostel in Okains Bay.

















This chapel in Akaroa is dedicated to the fallen soldiers in all the New Zealand wars.








Akarao harbor


























Hector dolphins - the smallest in the dolphin family and only found in the New Zealand area.






Sailboats lining up for a race in Akaroa harbor.









Cliffs along the harbor










Akaroa lighthouse












Le Bons bay















dinner table at LeBons backpackers - there were 16 of us seated for dinner from Seattle, Boston, Israel and Germany







Le Bons backpacker hostel - backyard


So this was my South Island trip - Christchurch, Hokatika, Punakaiki, Franz Joseph/ Fox glaciers, Queenstown, Te Anau, Milford Sound, back to Te Anau, Dunedin, Moeraki, Akaroa and back to Christchurch - total about 1,500 miles in 5 days.







No comments: