Friday, February 23, 2007

Feb 23

Leaving the Hokatika area traveling south to Franz Joseph and Fox glaciers.













Both Franz Joseph and Fox glaciers looked alike to me.




Heading to Milford Sound









The boat we took for the cruise









Look closely, there are seals.









The waterfall we got super close to.








































This is the mountain you drove through












This is the tunnel that went through the mountain to get into and out of Milford Sound.


























Ok, backtrack. I forgot to add in a few places... so after Punakaiki, I went to Franz Joseph and Fox Glaciers. Both glaciers have receded. The ice is really unstable and although they have tours that take you up on the ice accidents still occur. 2 tourists were trapped in when some ice fell on top of them. Minor injuries but they crossed the 'do not cross' roped off section. Americans...

After the glaciers, I stopped in Queenstown and Te Anau then moved on to Milford Sound, which was totally fantastic! It's in fjordland in the southwest portion of the island. It's quite a sight to see the tall mountains and all the water. I took a boat ride out to the middle of Milford and even saw some seals. The ferry captain even drove us so close to a waterfall that you could feel the mist.

After Milford Sound, I had to travel through Te Anau again and missed out on the Te Anau glowworms. It was all booked up until tomorrow and I didn't want to wait around. That's a really nice town too. Seems like most these nice towns have lakes nearby.

I'm currently in Dunedin. Caved in and am spending the night in a hotel. There was a rainstorm last night so I didn't sleep so well. Of course, I am a bit ahead of schedule and there's a Harley Davidson store in town so I'm sticking around just for a shirt to pick up in the morning.

I'm on my way heading north - back to Cheech with a few more stops along the way.

No comments: