Friday, February 01, 2008

home

Had some time to visit a friend of mine that I haven't seen in a while. Spent the night there and got home on Day 4. Not a bad drive at all. I ended up leaving Yreka, CA and even though I checked the weather forecast and road conditions (which were good), as soon as I got on the interstate the state troopers were flagging everyone over to put chains on.

I've never put chains on before and it must have been either my puzzled expression, looking at the pictures for instructions or just the look of a female in distress but some guy came over to put them on for me, which I thought was super nice. Just as he finished putting them on some other drive by traveler said real politely that the chains were on the wrong tires - my little car has front wheel drive. So the guy moved them from the back to the front. Took him like 5 minutes. Guess he was used to putting them on.

Course, as a typical girl I broke my nail. How bad is that?! Anyway, I only needed them for 12 miles before the roads were good again. Yet those 12 miles took 4 hours with the traffic delay. Took the chains off the tires, stowed them away and hoped with all hopes that I would not have to put them on by myself. Ugh! That would probably be another nail! The roads were just wet with rain the rest of the drive home.

I did have the chance to stop by my favorite waterfall in Oregon. Multnomah Falls - it's the first time I've been there in the winter. Usually it's Spring, Summer or Fall time. So it's cool - there's snow all around the waterfall.
Won't have the chance to do that 1/2 marathon a friend of mine and I had sign up for. Another friend is taking my place. I figured I can always do it next year but wanted to get a head start on the roadtrip due to the weather.








little creek near the waterfall















smaller waterfall off to the side

















the upper portion of Multnomah - you can walk across the bridge

















lower portion of Multnomah


















Multnomah - the whole waterfall from far away

No comments: