Sunday, April 04, 2010

Kogi

Last night, a friend and I hunted down a taco truck. Not just any taco truck but the newest fad in SoCal. My friend's co-workers have been urging her to hunt down the taco truck because the food is so so so wonderful. I had a sample of a quesadilla before and wasn't too impressed but was informed it is not the same if you eat it the next day - it's better fresh.

By hunting down, I mean you can either drive around the neighborhood or you can go online and be at the designated location when they show up. They are tracked on GPS so you just type in the information and the blog will tell you where the truck will be.

I've been helping her house hunt and we happened to be in the neighborhood where this taco truck would be from 6-9PM. We got there at 530 - it was either go home and return or just wait 30 minutes. We waited and thankfully, we noticed there was a go-kart business near by and went inside to check it out. We didn't notice the truck had arrived until 607 and by that time there was at least 50 people already in line.

So this taco truck is so special because it's Korean food but fusion style - with Mexican food. So you have Korean ingredients like kim chee inside of a quesadilla or Korean spicy pork inside of a burrito or taco. Interesting concept. But the reason I was so interested was that after 3 months, 1 truck turned into 3 taco trucks and now a year later with business so successful, they will be opening a restaurant. The grand opening is this Wednesday. Amazing! What makes this food so special? I wanted to check it out myself and see what was so good about this food.

By the time we ordered and got our food, it took 1 1/2 hours. 730PM and there was still a long line behind us and more people showing up just for this food. Amazing! I really don't understand either. There were only a few people like us who ordered lots and left with a bag. But there were other people waiting just as long as us only for 2 tacos or a burrito. I don't understand why someone would wait that long for only a burrito or only a taco. And I still don't understand. The food was hot (temperature) versus left over and cold but I just was not impressed. My best friend asked me how we ended up standing outside of a taco truck for food that really wasn't that good, spent alot and froze outside in the cold wind. I really don't know but people really like it.

No comments: