Sunday, May 17, 2009

Earthquake!

My first kinda big one. Was home alone watching a movie when my walls started shaking. At first I thought it was my neighbors running up and down the stairs since they rattle the walls. But the shaking lasted a longer time. Then I got alittle worried since it kind of reminded me of when a helicopter is about to land with all the wind velocity stirring everything up. I really thought a plane was going to crash. But then I figured out it was an earthquake. Switched the movie to the news showed it was a 5.0 shake on the richter scale with the epicenter 7 miles from my place... and 2 miles from the LAX airport.

As I keep watching the news, it's been reduced to a 4.7 magnitude earthquake with people feeling the shake about 100 miles around. I guess there were a few aftershocks of 2.5 and 3.1 but I didn't feel those at all.

It's a good thing I was paying attention to an earthquake preparedness website after the last earthquake that happened last summer. It was a 5.2 but it was 40 miles away. After that, I bolted down as much stuff possible - pictures, shelving, etc. and made an earthquake safety kit in preparation for a big one that's suppose to be coming at anytime.

Thankfully, with this preparation nothing fell and nothing broke in my apartment.

No comments: