Thursday, July 26, 2007

all road trips contain hail

Whew! So I left Denver this morning and rode thru Wyoming. It was real nice - sunny but with a cloud covering the whole way. It was actually alittle cold!


Going through Cheyenne, I didn't realize it was fair time. They call it Frontier Days. I saw the signs for it but thought perhaps that was normal for that town - to have it everyday of the year. Had I known it was their fair, I would have spent a day there to hangout... live music, rodeo, games - all fun stuff I haven't gone to in a while. I'll have to return there sometime and check it out properly.


Although I missed seeing all the fair stuff I did manage to get my own rodeo ride. Whew! There was construction on the interstate and the roads were uneven. I'd see a sign that would say 'bump' and slow down but there would be no bumps in the road. Then a few minutes down the road after I would think it would be safe to speed up, I get the bump of my life... I almost got bucked off my bike a couple of times. Kinda fun, bad on the back but at least the vehicle behind me stopped tailgating.


I arrived in Idaho Falls, Idaho and was heading out to Rexburg where I'd be staying the night when all of a sudden a rain storm hit. I've driven through tornado weather before and that's what it felt like. It got super cold all of a sudden, the wind actually blew me off the road! There was rain and hail. I couldn't see more than a few feet in front of me so I pulled to the shoulder of the road. Even the car drivers couldn't see and of course, I almost got hit on the shoulder. People were driving all over the road. After a majority of the traffic passed me by, I braved it back on the road and found cover at a gas station. That was a tough and drenching 45 minute break!




I didn't know what kind of pictures to take of Wyoming since I spent last summer in the Tetons and have a large amount of Wyoming pictures.

I saw this sign of a buffalo in the distance. It's on the border of Colorado and Wyoming. Course, it doesn't do Wyoming any justice but it was the only thing I could think of at the time for a picture.







Montana/ Idaho border



















Washington - welcome home to cornfields.















No comments: