Sunday, September 28, 2008

Tennessee finale

Overall, Tennessee is a very beautiful state - so many green trees, small rural population (at least it seemed like it), courteous and very friendly local folks... a really nice place to visit. Made me remember why I like to ride so much. Reminds me of riding in Texas in a way because all you have is you and the road - just ride and enjoy the scenery, with an occasional animal (deer, elk, etc) sighting. The lack of traffic (vehicles) made it a very nice relaxing (and much called for) biker vacation.

I even recommend the HOG (Harley Owner's Group) ride and fly program. That was the first time I've flown to a location solely to rent a bike and ride. Everything went so smooth. This dental biker event is supposedly going to be an annual event and the 2009 itinerary is already being organized. Perhaps I'll go again next year and take other scenic roads. Hey, maybe I can even convince friends to ride out that way instead of flying into Knoxville!

There's this competition called "iron butt." Yes, it's pretty much the literal translation. I've been wanting to do this for some time but haven't found anyone to go with. It is to ride 11,000 miles in 11 days. It's offered every other year in the United States and the off years, it's held in Australia. You really do need a backside made of iron in order not to be sore! There are also mini-iron butts... like the 1,000 mile in 24 hours (actually called saddlesore) and the bun burner going 1,500 miles in 36 hours. I think I can do these solo since 1,000 miles by bike is not a feat. In fact, had I known about these mini rides, I would have and entered the contest when I moved to Texas last year or even moving my bike from Washington to California earlier this year.

A friend of mine just purchased a new bike - a Harley Nightster... perhaps she just needs alittle more persuasion! I guess though, she should really get her bike license first, eh?

Sue on her new Harley-Davidson Nightster.

No comments: