Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Lahaina and Ocean Center - Maui

25 March 08

Went to the Ocean Center aquarium in Maui today. I finally got to see some hammerhead sharks up-close. Thought it was way cool. Yesterday, I went to explore a beach town called Lahaina. On the bus ride there, I saw some whales in the distance. The bus was going too fast to take pictures.


23 March 08

We went by the coast of Hawaii. The captain hadn’t gone this way in a few months but the past few months there was not any lava flowing. Last week, a volcano erupted so there’s lava and steam all over. It was dark out being 930PM but I got to see the lava. I wished we were closer to shore. I took a few pics with my phone but all it looks like are red dots in a black background. I was so excited about it, I called my roommate. I thought for sure she would grab her camera and run upstairs but she was busy sleeping and a bit terse answering the phone, not interested at all.

We’ll go by the coast next Sunday too. Perhaps then I can get some better pictures.

21 March 08

Today was a long day… late night last night from work and an early morning. It was my turn to make omelets in the restaurant buffet. Things are going alright, I guess. I’m making plans on what to do after this seasonal position is complete. With those plans, I’ve decided on moving back to Southern California… and this time, move my bike down as soon as I get settled in. Yes, another road trip. I can’t wait!

19 March 08

The executive chef is slowly growing on me. He worked as a sushi chef for 9 years, so he has sushi knowledge. Today was the second time, he has come over to see how the sushi is doing. The first time, I got a little class on an appetizer. The French term is called amuse bouche… he had called it something but I forget but it’s the same thing but in Japanese. He showed us – the other sushi chef and I – a different way of making the spicy sauce for spicy tuna. It actually tastes a lot better but then again, I prefer the Japanese mayonnaise called Kewpie which is the main ingredient.

Course, this being the second time he’s come over to teach something – this is the second time he’s volunteered me for the Home Away From Home. Yes, and this time it was for the 8PM showing – which is filmed and broadcasted on the ship television network.





at work...













ocean center in maui... saw lots of sea creatures.














moray eel




















sting ray with fish





hammerhead and lots of other sharks and fish
















in the underwatter tunnel with a school of fish












green sea turtle



jelly fish



















Lahaina, Maui




















banyan tree that was planted in the 1830's - it takes up about a city block





boat wreck off the shore of Lahaina.

1 comment:

Inkpot said...

Your pictures of the animals in the aquarium are lovely. Maui looks like a beautiful place.